Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bacon Date Jam with Brie

Last weekend, I had a "bring your own appetizer" girls' night. I had dates leftover from an earlier failed attempt to make a jam for the Bacon Takedown. I had bacon, because I have a year's supply of bacon. I also unearthed some brie from the freezer. Normally I don't have such fancy things in the depths of my freezer and pantry, but this was my lucky day. 

I ran out and grabbed some crackers for dipping and then made to die for, super easy bacon jam to spoon over my brie and warm in the oven. 

While researching possible inspirations for my bacon jam I found that dates turn into luscious jam that kind of resembles apple butter if you simply simmer them in liquid for 10-15 minutes. I chose to do a salty sweet take on it with bacon but you could absolutely do a spicy sweet version with just the dates and maybe some cinnamon and nutmeg. The world is your date jam oyster!!

Bacon Date Jam
*Makes approximately 1 cup of jam
5 slices of bacon
12-15 roughly chopped and de-pitted dates
1 cup of apple juice

*How can such a short ingredient list make something so wonderful? Because bacon in anything makes it wonderful!

Saute your bacon slices until crisp.
Remove bacon slices and pour out all but 1 tbsp of bacon grease. Chop your bacon slices. Add chopped bacon and dates to the frying pan.
 Add apple juice and stir to combine. Cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes.
 Stir jam and break up any remaining date pieces with a spoon.

This jam is salty sweet perfection. If serving on top of brie, spoon jam on top of brie and bake at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes to warm the brie.

This would also be wonderful served as an accompaniment on a sharp cheese tray or, for the wild and daring, perhaps as a spread for a flatbread pizza. Roll out your dough, spread with jam and a few shavings of parmesan or pecorino. Garnish with arugula when the pizza comes out. Ugh, now I am hungry for pizza!

1 comment:

  1. HI Kristi, this sounds great! Hey, Ben & Jerry's just came out with an amazing frozen Greek yogurt. Might you concoct some cool recipes for us if you perchance have an ice cream maker?

    ReplyDelete