Friday, June 28, 2013

One Ingredient Homemade Dulce de Leche

For a few months, I have put off adding this recipe to the blog because it is so ridiculously easy [and borrowed from my sister's sassy Peruvian room mate]. Sometimes I get a little blogging pride and think that I can only put up cool things that I invented myself. Then I remembered how amazing spoonfuls of this dulce de leche tasted in my morning or afternoon cup of coffee. I remembered how good pretzels tasted dipped into it and how good graham crackers tasted, spread with a little cream cheese and dulce de leche. It would have been wrong to keep this to myself!

One Ingredient Homemade Dulce de Leche
1 can of sweetened, condensed milk
 *Let's be honest,this stuff is so good you might as well buy two or three cans to make at a time. 2 cans filled 1 1/2 pint sized mason jars for me. 

Place the can [don't bother to remove the paper wrapper-it will come off whole during the boiling process and can easily be plucked out with a pair of tongs] in the bottom of a stock pot. Fill the pot with water until the water level rests about an inch or so above the top of the sweetened, condensed milk can. If using more than one can, just place them all in the bottom of the pot. 

Bring the water to a boil and let it slowly boil over medium heat for 3 hours. If the water level drops below the top of the can, add a little more water.

After three hours, drain the water, lift your cans out of the pot with tongs and open. There should be a gush of amazing, warm dulce de leche that oozes out of the top of your can.

Move your dulce de leche into whatever storage container you like, of course after you have "sampled" a handful of spoonfuls.

No need to refrigerate!

P.S. I haven't tested this out yet, but imagine how amazing this would be slathered on a s'more!! Please try.

3 comments:

  1. Do I need to wait to open them until cool? Will it burst in my face and scold my beautiful eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just some light scalding around the eyes, nothing some gauze won't fix! You can wait for them to cool, it might be a little less messy but it will just ooze a little if you open them while hot.

    ReplyDelete