Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fried Brown Rice with Bok Choy

A couple months ago, I tried my hand at healthy fried rice. It has quickly become one of my staples and an awesome pantry/ veggie drawer buster.

I always have some form of rice on hand in my pantry and am always looking for a way to use up my "end-of-week/ I desperately need to grocery shop" vegetables.

This week, I happened to have some chicken on hand that I sauteed up to go alongside the rice but there have been MANY times that I had no protein left besides eggs and substituted them in for my protein [and for that true fried rice feel].

Fried Brown Rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch of bok choy, chopped, and/or
ANY veggies that you need to use: carrots, broccoli, celery, spinach
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp fresh, grated ginger
4 cups of cooked brown rice [you can sub any rice. I have a rice cooker and, for brown rice, place 2 cups of rice plus 5 cups of water into my rice cooker]
1 1/2 tbsp of asian beef/pho bouillon base [this is a tough item to find, I happen to have one from a visit to the Asian grocery store. It tastes like a slightly sweet beef bouillon with added spices like star anise. This can easily be replaced by adding an additional 2 tbsp of soy sauce]
4 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Optional: 3 eggs

I usually start my rice in my rice cooker about 15 minutes before I begin preparing the rest of the fried rice. 

If using eggs, whisk your eggs together and fry, not scramble, in a greased frying pan. Flip once. Your eggs should resemble a flat omelette. Once your eggs are cooked through, remove from the pan and cut into 1 inch squares. Set aside.

If egg-less, start by heating your olive oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the onions, salt, pepper and powdered ginger. Saute on medium heat until translucent, approximately 3-5 minutes. 

Add the white portion of your chopped bok choy, the chopped garlic and, if available, the asian beef bouillon and stir for about a minute. 


*If veggie drawer purging, adjust the cooking and adding time of veggies to match how long they need to cook. For example, carrots, broccoli or celery should go in with the onions. Cook those, and onions, for an additional 5 minutes or so to soften the carrots fully. Bell peppers can be added with the whites of the bok choy. Greens like spinach should go in at the very end with the rice, so as just to wilt. 

 
Add the green portion of the chopped bok choy. Then Grate/ mince your fresh ginger over the top [I used my microplane].  Stir to combine.

Add the rice, the egg [if using] and the chopped green onions. Sprinkle your sesame oil and soy sauce over the top. Stir to combine over medium high heat until all rice looks evenly coated with soy sauce.




If eggless, I like to serve this dish with a protein side. I sauteed some chicken to pair with the rice. You could also serve marinated tofu or beef skewers alongside. With the addition of the chopped egg, I feel happy eating just this for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment